Quick Find Page Content
Cooking a spaghetti dinner in a microwave is easy. However, for most of us, the difficult part comes after we are done with the cooking.
Yes! We are talking about how ugly cleaning a microwave can be. Let me tell you that cleaning a microwave isn’t that difficult. With a few basic supplies, you can turn your dirty microwave into a sparkling new appliance again. With basic supplies like lemon, vinegar, dish wash liquid, and baking soda, you can easily clean the microwave.
Before telling you how you can easily clean your microwave, let us focus on how frequently you should clean it.
You don’t need to do it daily. Cleaning it once in a week is sufficient to keep your microwave sparkling clean. Cleaning will not only remove the splattered food and bad odor from the microwave but also make it efficient.
Planning to replace your old microwave? Not sure which one to choose? Go through our experts’ list of the best microwave ovens in India.
How to Clean Microwave from Inside?
Cleaning the microwave from inside is important because it will increase the efficiency of the appliance. Further, it will remove any bad odor from it. Scrubbing of the interior part is generally not required if you clean the microwave at a regular interval.
So, let’s begin now!
1. Cleaning Microwave with Lemon
Are you wondering how to clean microwave with lemon? Well, it is quite easy. All you need is a lemon, water and a piece of cloth.
- Pour one cup of water in a microwave-safe bowl and then add four slices of lemon in the water.
- Make sure you squeeze the lemon juice.
- Now microwave the solution that you have created for three minutes on high power.
- Do not open the microwave immediately after the three minutes are over. Let the solution settle for at least five minutes. This will ensure that the food gunk present in the microwave has loosened.
- Now, open the oven and remove the bowl carefully.
- Now remove the turntable and wipe it clean.
- Also, take a cotton cloth and wipe the ceiling and sides of the microwave oven.
- Lastly, clean the floor and inside of the door too. In case, you stumble across a stubborn spot, dip the cloth directly in the lemon water solution and scrub the spot until it vanishes.
The citric acid present in the lemon will kill the bacteria and mold present inside the microwave oven and will leave a fresh fruity smell.
2. Cleaning Microwave with Vinegar
You can also steam clean your microwave oven using a vinegar solution.
- For cleaning the microwave oven using vinegar, pour equal parts of water and vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl. If you are planning to do a deep clean, one cup of water and vinegar will suffice.
- Now, heat the bowl for ten minutes. The heating time can be adjusted depending upon how dirty your microwave is.
- Let the solution settle for another five minutes.
- Then open the door, and carefully remove the bowl.
- Take a sponge and dip it into the hot vinegar-water solution and scrub your microwave.
If your microwave doesn’t need a deep clean, you can also use a paper towel instead of a sponge.
3. Cleaning Microwave with Dish Wash Liquid
- If you are planning to clean the microwave oven using a dish wash liquid, you have to first boil a cup of water, and then, you need to mix the dish wash liquid in it.
- Now drop a cotton cloth in the solution that you have created.
- Wait for around ten minutes to ensure that the cloth has absorbed the soapy solution.
- After ten minutes, wring the soapy water from the cloth.
- Now remove everything from the microwave oven and wipe the interior of it clean with the help of the soapy cloth.
You can also use this method for cleaning the exterior of the microwave oven too.
You May Also Like: Best Instant Water Heaters in India
4. Cleaning Microwave with Baking Soda
In case your microwave oven is filled with tons of grease stains, it will be easier to clean it with the help of a baking soda paste.
- Mix the baking soda and the water in a suitable proportion to get a spreadable paste.
- Now take a cotton cloth to rub the paste on the greasy area. You can also scrub it with the same cloth.
- Finally, you need to take another wet cloth and wipe the inside of the microwave clean.
No matter which method you use to clean the interior of the microwave oven, in the end, you need to wipe the interior using a dry cotton cloth to remove the moisture.
Have an OTG oven at home? There is a difference between how microwave and OTG oven can be used but luckily you can use all these 4 microwave cleaning hacks to clean your OTG oven as well.
Now that we know different techniques of microwave oven cleaning for the interior part let us shift to the cleaning procedure of the microwave from the outside.
How to Clean Microwave from Outside?
Keeping the microwave clean from outside is as important as keeping it clean from the inside. And the best part is, cleaning a microwave from outside is a lot easier as compared to cleaning it from inside.
A sparkling clean microwave will give it a brand new shine and will add to the beauty of your kitchen. Therefore, it is particularly more important to keep it clean from outside. When you clean the microwave from outside, you are polishing it. The cleaning of the microwave from outside will give it a new look.
We have already discussed how you can use a dish wash liquid to clean the exterior of the microwave oven. Apart from that, you can also use a microwave oven cleaner on the exterior part to clean it.
Get a clean piece of soft cloth or sponge and then spray the cleaner directly on it. You can then use the cloth to wipe the exterior of the microwave. Avoid spraying the cleaner at the microwave directly as some of it can enter the vent hole.
It is important to note here that a microwave oven with a full touch control panel makes cleaning a lot easier as compared to one with dial and tactile buttons.
Clean Your Microwave Regularly
When you clean your microwave oven regularly, it becomes easier for you to clean it the next time.
Make it a habit to clean the microwave once in a week to prevent the creation of a grime layer in the interior and exterior of it. This will not only make your microwave look clean and nice but will also prevent the build-up of harmful bacteria and germs.
There are many food items out there which, when microwaved, attract plenty of bacteria. When you clean the microwave regularly, such contaminants can easily be removed. When you clean it regularly, it will never be time-consuming. And for fun, you can try different microwave cleaning hacks!
Join Our Mailing List
Subscribe to our mailing list and get amazing stuff and updates on your email.